Friday, October 1, 2010

Football is more than the cookies

Warsaw High School football is a big deal.  I have been attending games since 1988...yes, for over 20 years.  I have witnessed teenage boys cry over a heart breaking loss and rejoice over winning a State Championship.  WHS football is legendary.  Coach Morrow is in the Missouri Sports Hall of Fame for coaching.  I have seen him yell at players and break down and bawl talking about Jesus.  I've sung the National Anthem there and so has Christian with the Madrigal Singers.  I recalled when he was little and we were at an away game getting ready to walk across a parking lot, I reached for his hand and he looked up at me matter-of-factly and said, "Mom! I am in Kindergarten!"  The boys didn't watch too much of the games then, they mostly played in the grass with other children, having their own football game.  The crowds that gather are large, they fill up the bleachers and stand and watch next to the field halfway around the track.  WHS football is one of our favorite pasttimes. 

 Tonight was Homecoming!  The booster club sells brown bag specials with your choice of brats, hot dogs, or burgers along with a bag of chips, soda or water, and a homemade cookie.  Yummy!  We are always at the games early, I mean early, we have our spot, top row of the bleachers close to the speaker where we set up our bleacher seats and where I lay out my blanket to save seats for James' parents.  The speaker is loud, way too loud before the game starts.  They play the same songs they played when I was in high school..."Welcome to the Jungle", "Hells Bells".  I do not like these songs anymore!  But we endure it for the love of the game.  Madrigal Singers sang the National Anthem tonight, I could clearly hear Christian (that's so cool), and it sounded great!

Christian singing, he's the one in the white t-shirt
 
The players storming the field, ripping through the "Beat the Mustangs Banner"
They're holding hands.....aw, sweet
The game was good, we won 40 - 30.  The season hasn't been like most, our record is 3 - 3, there have been some injuries and other mishaps but we are still hopeful for the playoffs. 
I took this before our last home game.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...