Monday, October 4, 2010

Powerstar - Vol. 1


My youngest brother, Cliff, has autism.  He is something special, he can create anything out of construction paper and glue and writes tons of comics and stories.  A while back he asked me to help him with his stories, a series of comic book adventures about a character he created called "Powerstar".  She is a reporter named Victoria when she isn't fighting crime.

I started this endeavor all wrong, I was trying to edit and make it perfect and it was taking forever.  So I gave it another try and went about it differently, I only took out a few redundant things and those few things that made no sense or that made it flow a little better.  It really made the story sound so much like my brother, it made me laugh typing it...I could see the story coming to life just a if Cliff was telling me the tale himself.  Cliff's birthday was coming up and I wanted to get it finished for him and surprise him.  I printed it and took one of his Powerstar drawings and made a nifty comic book looking cover.  I also scanned his senior picture because that's the best one I had and it looked "author" like and wrote a little blurb on the last page about him.  I invited my family for dinner to celebrate Cliff's birthday and to give him his gift.  I took a little video of him while he was opening it.


He was delighted!  Yea!  Of course he talked about it all evening but the best part for me was when he told me "I'm proud of you, Christy".  It was really sweet.  Obviously he wants me to do some more stories for him which is fine, I will be honored.  James heard him saying to himself "I knew they wouldn't let me down" and that made me smile.

1 comment:

  1. Aww! This has me grinning from ear to ear! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...