Wednesday, October 1, 2014

God's Word, Ways, and Wonder

Right away I found myself in the first few paragraphs of this chapter.  A conflict in my innermost being regarding a decision that had to be made, saying yes meant a lot of emotional stress or added time doing such and such or more time away from my family but saying no to me made me feel like a failure.  I'm a Christian so I should just say yes to almost any request, right?  There have been so many times when I felt I should say no but felt I was expected to say yes.

28 For which of you, desiring to build a tower, does not first sit down and count the cost, whether he has enough to complete it? 29 Otherwise, when he has laid a foundation and is not able to finish, all who see it begin to mock him, 30 saying, ‘This man began to build and was not able to finish.’ Luke 14:28-30

Things to consider when making a decision.

Whenever there is a conflict seek clarity from God.

28 Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30

God's Word addresses my approach - physically, financially, spiritually, emotionally.  The Word of God instructs the approach we should have to life.  A good approach to something requires enough resources to handle the demands of the activity.  While the task itself may be honoring to God, my approach in one or more of these areas may not be.

17 And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him. Colossians 3:17

Whatever I do.
In word or deed.
My approach must honor Jesus.

If someone or something demands my attention and I don't have the physical, financial, spiritual, or emotional space to handle them, my actions will betray my intentions.  A no answer doesn't make you a bad person.  It makes you the wrong person for that assignment.

Love - "God is love." 1 John 4:8

1 Corinthians 13:1-3 If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned,[a] but have not love, I gain nothing.

If we say yes to anything without love, then it is not godly.

The ways of God insist on an attitude of love

Whatever attitude we bring into a situation will be multiplied.  Think about that, I can recall times where I have been cranky about "being made to" do something I really didn't want to or feel that I should be doing it and my attitude of crankiness or bitterness became worse as the assignment or task drew near.

My attitude of love must trump my activity.  We aren't the master provider, He is.

Isaiah 33:16-17 16 he will dwell on the heights; his place of defense will be the fortresses of rocks; his bread will be given him; his water will be sure. 17 Your eyes will behold the king in his beauty; they will see a land that stretches afar."

The Word of God addresses my approach.  The ways of God address my attitude.  The wonder of God provides my assurance.

Ultimately, God is in control.  He knows far better than we do what we should be doing, He knows our best yes.

Discovering our best yes isn't about saying no to anything that feels uncomfortable.  Or stretching.  Or even beyond our abilities to resource.  This isn't about an excuse not to step out in faith.  There is a time and a place to say yes.  It's about learning to say yes to those things that are truly meant to be our assignments.

Part of my job is to ask people to do things, to get volunteers for this and that but sometimes I feel like (or tell myself) that it would be easier to just do it myself which sometimes turns into me sitting in a puddle of tears, overwhelmed, exhausted, and alone.  My hope is that I will listen to God's voice and have discernment about my assignments, that everything I say yes to will be out of love and obedience to my King.  That I will bring Him honor and glory with anything yes or any no and that I will have an attitude of love.

He is worthy and deserves my best yes.
 
Photobucket

(in italics - The Best Yes by Lysa Terkeurst)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...