Monday, November 7, 2011

Parenting Tip #5

This is a must-have tip for all parents.

Circumstances will arise where you will not be able to bring do not want to bring your children or do not want to pick up your child at a ridiculously late hour.

Example:  A lovely woman at church called me recently and asked if her son could spend the night with us since they live a long way away from the activity that our youth were going to and it was going to be a really late night and the next day was Sunday, etc. etc.  Actually, she was really sweet, didn't want to ask but kinda did want to but didn't want to offend, ya know.  Well, of course we said yes, it really wasn't a big deal at all.  And it cracked me up, as you can tell, she is much sweeter than I am.

The tip is...do not feel as though this is such a faux pas.  It may seem like you are imposing on someone else or that this is not proper etiquette.  Who cares?  I used to, but then we did need someone for our kids so we just told our boys to find someone to stay the night with on such and such a day and they did, and don't worry, we approved of where they were going.  We've actually done this a couple times with other families that have needed the same kind of thing, a safe place for their child to be until they found the time to they could be picked up.  I think that what we are more caught up with is that we don't want to say "No".  If I felt I really couldn't have handled another person in our home on that particular night I would have just said so and she would not have felt slighted one little bit (she actually said, "it's okay to say no"). 

And ya know what??? It is.

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Yes! Our neighbors have turned into Ethan's personal chauffeurs. They're all going to the same band/youth/whatever event anyway. Why subject myself to getting out my pajamas for these events?

    For two weeks, I've been apologetically asking a friend to take back my past-due library books. She insisted it was fine but I continued to grovel and feel bad for asking her to stop by my house. Then she said, "Jennifer! You'd do it for me without thinking twice about it; why do you think it would bother me?!?" Huh. Yeah. That makes sense. But for whatever reason, I'm always afraid of being a burden on somebody.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...