Saturday, February 13, 2016

Mardi Gras Mission Trip 2016 ~ Part 1

My 4th year of going on mission to New Orleans during Mardi Gras did not disappoint.  We did things a little different this year, new ideas had been brought to the table, new people (ok, one person) were coming along, and a new sense of boldness.  Conversational evangelism was, I believe, the main goal on this trip although I had used it every year in the past whether during face painting, passing out tracts on bourbon street, you name it.  But this year we were more intentional in our pursuit of conversations with the people we would encounter.  We prayed ahead of time and during for a love and opportunity to share Christ with those God would place in our path.  We used interviews as a way to engage people in conversations that would hopefully lead to the telling of Jesus and His love for them.  Yes, we were shut down by some and appeased by others but the gospel was put into their hands with a little card that had our name on it and a website that they could go to see their interview when it was posted but first took them to our personal story and testimony.  God does the saving, we just have to be obedient in the telling.

We also did a breakfast ministry each morning, the original thought was to find those who were still around in the morning that had perhaps partied too much the night before or were left behind by their friends, etc.  We didn't find many of those but we did find a vast amount of homeless people.  On day one I met a young woman named Rachel, she had sores on her feet and one above her mouth, she had a sweet smile and countenance and I was immediately drawn to her.  I prayed to find her the next day and I did.  It was a little chillier and she had boots on and other layers of clothing.  She let me sit with her and pray with her.  She said she was a mom of four children (she only looked to be in her twenties), she said they were with family in Colorado.  Sometimes she made sense and at other times I couldn't follow her but I was able to tell her the truth about Jesus, that He loved her and that regardless of her circumstances she could have joy and peace with Him.  I told her I wasn't better than her and that she wasn't better than me.  I held her hand and prayed for her, she hugged me I think three times.  I gave her one of the cards that had my name on it, I told her I didn't want her to forget me.  I don't know whether she will ever be able to look up my testimony but I wanted her to look at it and remember when she heard about Jesus.  She seemed genuinely touched and just stared at the card mouthing the words on it.  She is still in my heart and on my mind and I hope I never forget her.  Maybe God will even place her in my path once again.



 photo signature2.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...