Friday, February 10, 2017

Identity Crisis


You know how Paul said to be all things to all people?  Well, I've tried that...in the negative sense and it is no good.  I am a people pleaser from way back, I've tried to be what people expect me to be and more.  And worse, I've despised it when people thought of me as anything less than...less than a good mom, a great wife, a lovely singer, an awesome christian woman, the list could go on and on.  In various circumstances I would exalt one over the other and hold on to each one as my identity at different times.  AND if I felt I was losing one of those identities, it would send me into a tailspin of grief and patheticness (I know...not a word).  Sometimes my identity would be the opposite of those "proud" things - bad mom, demanding wife, distant friend, never-there-for-you sister/daughter/mother/wife, which would then turn into guilt, shame, and regret.

Thankfully, if I remember who I belong to this identity crisis is not a crisis at all.  My identity lies in the person of Jesus Christ.  I am His and He is mine, He bought me and I am righteous because of Him.  I have nothing to fear, nothing to worry about losing or gaining for that matter, I have Jesus.  Laying these identities down at the feet of Jesus has given me such freedom, I no longer worry about what people think of me (or at least I try not to), I don't worry about messing up or making a mistake (that's not who I am in Him), I don't measure my worth by success or failure...I'm simply a servant of the Lord Jesus.

For in him the whole fullness of deity dwells bodily, and you have been filled in him, who is the head of all rule and authority. Colossians 2:9-10


But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. 1 Peter 2:9

 photo signature2.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...